Visit Budget101.com


Saturday, May 7, 2011

Altruistic Heart

After reading a New York Times article and reading yet another med students blog, I am again, SOOOO EXCITED!!!! Its made stepping outside of this blah place really fantastic. You definitely have to do stuff like that to stay sane, and in turn, driven. So let me talk about the article first! This article was about how they are changing the MCAT!!! It hasn't been changed in approximately 25 years! And since 1928, when the first MCAT was administered, its only been changed 4 times! Thats crazy when you consider how much and how fast everything changes these days, isn't that wild to consider? Anyways, the proposed changes won't take affect until 2015, well after I have taken the MCAT, so I guess this really doesn't apply to me, but its a good change, from what I read so far. They are adding more questions in regards to cultural differences, sociological questions and psychological questions. Okay pros and cons. Pros: If it works its intended purpose, you will have much more well-rounded PEOPLE getting into medical schools and in turn, becoming doctors. You won't just have some braniac who could care less about helping others and is out for self as opposed to others. I mean, you will, because some people really can work the system, but it will be dwindled down. You will have people with experiences and heart and my favorite word...people who are ALTRUISTIC! Because no matter what you do, the most important thing is that you love it. Cons: you really, REALLY are going to have a difficult time testing one's heart via standardized testing. Granted, I've never been one to do my absolute best on those, I fare really well generally speaking, IF I do my part. But I have heard of people who just crumble. Text anxiety maybe? I have no idea, but I just can't imagine. I would hate to think a smart guy or gal with nothing more than to want to be a doctor didn't get into a medical school because they just crumbled. Then again, I know many people who take some time, redeem themselves, then take another stab at it only to be met with success. Case and point, if you truly can't be anything but a doctor, you will adjust fire and make it happen. Anyways, I think its cool and as with everything, you can only hope the intended effect will take place.
Okay next really cool thing. The guy that I'm reading about goes to medical school in Dominica. Go, google it RIGHT NOW. Dominica. Also known as the "nature island". I can't think of a better way to hone my skills than to be in the midst of nature and beautiful landscaping and just living simply. It makes for a better atomosphere, I think. Many get distracted, but for me, if everything around me is perfect, I can focus on the task at hand. Also, it would be a fantastic way for me to set up ties and test the waters of what I really want to do, work in a Spanish-speaking country frequently, if not full-time. I just can't even tell you how ecstatic I am, reading this guy write. He is absolutely fantastic, sounds like the male version of me, his thoughts are very much in line with mine. This is the URL to his blog: http://thesescrubs.com
It is SO GOOD! He adds quotes, pictures and medical school time frames and thoughts. Its just so so good. Okay, I'll stop with that now. I have also discovered awesome podcasts. Haven't listened to them yet, but they're good. Back to my little reality here, Shelby is still gone, she keeps getting delayed from coming back and now Baird and I are wondering if she'll even make it back for our little combatives class. Baird and I have decided that if she doesn't, we know who will win the "Breakfast Club Bouts"...not Frame or Shelby, because they aren't even going to the class! Haha. Didn't really talk to Frame but for like 2 minutes last night, but he seemed out of it. We miss him, but he's doing stuff back home. Hmmm. Don't know what was going on. Oh well. Baird and I are going running tonight then hanging out and drinking n/a beer, per the usual Saturday night. It won't be the same without Shelby and Frame though...1 more week! I have a softball game tomorrow so Princess Baird will sleep in, IM me when he awakens and we'll go to Charley's, our usual Sunday ritual. And I get to eat it this time because there's not softball until 6pm and no cookout to go to. Sounds like success! And all laundry is done, except towels, which will be easy to accomplish. For now, back to trying to answer some practice questions!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jamie, have you seen this blog, of a girl I know doing PC in Africa?
    http://hopemd.wordpress.com/2011/05/07/cinco-de-mayo-and-a-new-beginning/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did! I haven't read a lot of it, just the beginning, it is good. I guess its really strange because its so different from the military. Something new to absorb though, very cool! Thank you again for that!

    ReplyDelete